Wednesday 21 March 2012

My interview with Patsy Collins

Today I'd like to welcome Patsy Collins to my blog. Patsy's novel is being published on the 30th March, and she is my first ever interviewee!  

Congratulations! Escape to the Country is not only being published, it won a competition with over 600 entrants - have you calmed down yet?
Have you been watching that video? 
No, I wouldn't say I'm totally calm yet. 

I love that video - I'm sure it's what most of us do when we receive an acceptance, but possibly not with so much style!

Where did the idea for this novel come from?
That's really hard to answer as I rarely know exactly what prompted me to write a story. I suppose it was at least partly a desire to use some of my research material.

How much research did you need to do?
26 years. Well, that's how long I lived on a farm. At the time I had no idea I'd use the experience in this way.

Did you find writing the novel easy, or were there many drafts and redrafts?
Yes and yes. There were a lot of drafts and edits, but all I had to do was make stuff up, tap away on my keyboard and then fiddle about with it a lot. There are much harder jobs than that.

What does your writing day look like?
There isn't a typical writing day. I have a full time day job and am a keen gardener so I fit in the writing during lunch breaks, when it's raining or dark and when Gary and I go away in our campervan - which we like to do as often as possible.

Cheeky question: would you choose Adam or Duncan?
Duncan. Although Adam is quite a charmer ...

What are you working on at the moment?
I'm working on a romantic novel about a couple who go away in a campervan. I'll have to do a lot of research!

And, finally, where will we be able to find Escape to the Country?
Amazon, Waterstones online, some 'real' bookshops including my local independent and I'm hoping to get it into libraries too. There will also be an ebook version.

You can read the first chapter for free here -

Thanks so much for popping over today, Patsy. I'd like to wish you every success with your novel!


42 comments:

  1. That video makes me smile every time I see it, huge congratulations to Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for interviewing me, Annalisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Patsy - I'm glad your tour's going well!

      Delete
  3. Great interview - am really looking forward to getting my mitts on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A terrific interview, Annalisa! I think you should definitely do more of these. :)

    Congratulations, Patsy! I wish you lots of success with this novel. I'll definitely be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa - I think I might have another go, once the A-Z is over.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good read. I love the bit where Patsy says, "...all I had to do was make stuff up, tap away on my keyboard and then fiddle about with it..." When you put it like that it does sound easy, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So bye bye Adam!! Yay for Patsy!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck Patsy! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the novel. Getting good news is also good excercise for you. I would probably be not so energetic.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running for good news; hitting a punchbag for bad news. Win-win!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the novel and what an awesome interview! thx ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview, you never fail to make me smile/laugh Patsy. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the novel Patsy! Great interview:) Thanks Annalisa:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful video. Congrats on all the success, Patsy. You look a lot like my sister-in-law, who I really like, so that's a good thing. :)

    Waving at Annalisa. I finished reading your book. I loved it. Wlll post up a review soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Twenty-six years of research - funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think maybe I should write a book about a chocolate taster - I've made a good start on the research for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful interview, Annalisa. I would never have guessed it was your first. Thank you for the intro to Patsy. I am now following and reading her blog (I even entered a contest today to win a cool e-pen thing). The book sounds lovely. I enjoyed watching the video; it made me smile. It was hilarious and I loved hearing the narrator's voice at the very end, "well she's quite pleased", in that awesome accent. Great job Patsy & Annalisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa - thinking of questions is hard! I'm glad you've discovered Patsy, her blog is a great read!

      Delete
  16. Melissa, that's my fiance you can hear - it's not just his accent that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the fact you've been researching all that 'real' time! Another lovely interview.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Annalisa, how nice to see Patsy here.

    26 years of research--that made me laugh. You are dedicated, Patsy! Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! I'm thinking of having more visitors - it's been fun.

      Delete
  19. Annalisa, it's a great interview with Patsy.
    26 years means you must know it inside out by now, which will add to the authenticity of the writing. I always get frustrated/ exasperated when authors write stuff that is incorrect because they make assumptions rather than do their research.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That research sounds like a lot of fun hehe! The video was awesome, I'm still smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Patsy! You must be writing about my husband and me (the campervan romance)! Your book sounds like wonderful reading for when we take to the road soon. You'll understand if you pop over to visit me at http://writeryogini.blogspot.com

    Hi Annalisa!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Patsy on your upcoming publication.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you to everyone who stopped by to read my interview - and especially to all those who've left messages and good wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.