Friday 30 December 2011

Goodbye 2011

You know something, I truly think 2011 has been one of my best years ever! I know that's a huge statement to make; to understand why (and in the words of Dr. Doofenshmirtz), you'll need to know a bit of the backstory:

Many, many years ago (although if you're thinking black-and-white, come forward a bit) I wanted to be a writer. I also wanted to be a recluse - I saw myself writing in an attic, with fingerless gloves, churning out works of genius. One day I met a boy who was a musician, and my dreams changed a bit. I now saw myself writing alongside my musician, who would serenade me with songs he was writing. I saw myself sitting in cafes in the long summer months while other people were working, and working in my pyjamas in front of a log fire in the winter avoiding the rain and snow outside.

Reader, I married him.

And then, reader, we had children, a mortgage, bills... and proper jobs...

For years and years, we had proper jobs, jobs that were okay, but also - a lot of the time - less than okay. Hubby was a teacher, I worked in a library. I still wrote, but not a lot, and certainly not enough to have a body of work to send out. My dream job was now just a hobby that I did in the evenings when there was nothing on the telly. And Hubby didn't sing at all. For years he didn't even pick up his guitar....

In 2010, he was inspired to start playing some gigs in local pubs. Then he started playing a few more...

Then - then! - this year, he gave up teaching! It was a big step - we thought about it hard, then took the plunge. I'd already changed my job - I'm now a fitness instructor - and had a lot more time to write. All of a sudden that dream from many, many years ago has come true! (Although I can't claim to be a fully-fledged recluse - what with having a family, friends and a job - I do have fingerless gloves.)

I've been reading other blogs recently where people have not had a good 2011, and I don't want to give the impression that this has been an easy thing to do. It's not, even now. We've had to cut back a lot, budget and re-budget, do without. When a pub cancels a gig at short notice, that's our food money gone. It's scary... it's very scary. But we're happy. We've realised as a family that we can do it - although as a Man City fan giving up Sky Sports in their current spate of glory has been difficult.

So, for that reason, 2011 has been fantastic and I think I'll miss it. I hope 2012 will be just as good.

And I wish that every one of you will find ways to make your dreams come true.



11 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, full of hope and positivity! Wishing you all the best for 2012, Annalisa! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this Annalisa! Here's to making our dreams come true in 2012. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your dreams are coming true for you - it's great when that happens!

    Mine are a work in progress, but some of them are starting to look within reach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Annalisa! What a great post. I hope 2012 is even better than the previous year. Have you ever thought to have your hubby release some music together with your writing? I think that would be fun (but probably a lot of work). Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that about your hubby, Annalisa, how wonderful. Here's to more success for both of you this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your lovely comments and good wishes - it's a bit scary writing something so personal, but it's what's on my mind at the moment.

    Marta - that's an interesting idea. I suppose ebooks lend themselves to a variety of different storytelling methods. Although we'd drive each other bonkers working together.

    I'm just going to sneakily throw in Huuby's website, where you can listen to samples, buy his album and check out gigs:
    http://www.peter-crawford.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulously encouraging post Annalisa! No wonder you said it was the best year yet. Following your dreams. Go you!

    Wishing you a wonderful 2012 and may your dreams continue to grow in to the reality you want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you. It is wonderful that you and your husband had such a great year. Don't apologize for it. As a couple you took a chance and you are enjoying the results, but you have also learned to sacrifice in other areas. I know that many people had a less than happy 2011. I actually had a pretty good 2011, but 2010 was a living nightmare. We will all have good times and bad. Remembering the not so great times reminds us to appreciate the good times. It also helps that your hubby and you had each other to see it through. I am so excited for you that your dreams are coming true. Enjoy this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca - thank you. I hope your year proves more settled than last (with less hospitals and appointments!)

    Melissa - I'm glad 2011 was better for you than the previous year, hope 2012 proves even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I'd have never known your husband was in a band. And that you were a Man City fan. I'm a bit musically inclined myself, although I confess I don't watch football. I'm glad you linked to this post for the 7 x 7 Award. :D

    P.S: I trust that your 2012 is already shaping up to be even better than your 2011.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favourite posts. 2012 has been pretty good too :-)

      Delete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.